Even though there aren’t very many, winter blooming shrubs are often among the most amazing.
They are unique in that they bloom when all the other plants are at rest.
Also, these shrubs are appealing, beckon to the eyes and give a touch of color that makes one feel gay and happy in your garden.
Blooming in winter isn’t their only advantage
- These shrubs also take it on them to support the local ecosystem when fauna and flora are rather sleepy…
- Plants that put on such remarkable dresses also do it to attract insects and birds that are part of the species reproductive cycle thanks to pollination.
- Flowering in the season when there are much less other flowers around is a great way to catch attention, and winter flowering species usually boast the highest fertility rates!
Among the most beautiful winter flowering shrubs
Mimosa tree is one of the most famous due to its magnificent gold yellow garb, but sadly it can’t grow everywhere. It needs relatively mild climate to be able to bloom in January or February.
Maule’s quince will win you over for a terrace or balcony, since it is perfectly suited to growing in pots. Hedges are also perfect for this shrub.
Tree germander, which blooms at the end of winter and deep into spring, calls softly to the onlooker with its cool blue flowers. It gives a delicate touch to your shrub beds or your terrace.
For a little more original surprises in your garden, go ahead and choose the silk tassel bush which bears unique long white flowers that are remarkable.
Finally, Persian ironwood is more a tree than a shrub. The green color of its leaves are one of a kind and the color changes with the seasons. It blooms from January to March and is much loved by our feathered friends.
Here are a few pictures…
Read also on the topic of shrubs
- Another idea to add color in the winter: berry shrubs!
- Shrubs that bloom in spring
- Summer-flowering shrubs
- Shrubs that bloom in fall
Credits for images shared to Nature & Garden (all edits by Gaspard Lorthiois):
Orange witch hazel by Cornelia Gerhardt under Pixabay license
Mimosa tree by Salvatore Lanza under Pixabay license
Mahonia by Hans Braxmeier under Pixabay license
Wintersweet by Sound_Gene under © CC BY 2.0
Tree germander by Steve Law ★ under © CC BY-SA 2.0
Witch Hazel by HeVoLi under Pixabay license
Persian Ironwood by Andreas Rockstein under © CC BY-SA 2.0
Willow by Cornelia Gerhardt under Pixabay license
Maule’s quince by Franco Marra under Pixabay license