Not only is it very ornamental, mineral mulch is 100% natural.
This trendy product is also an amazing answer to the problems of weeds and water needs.
Key mineral mulch facts
Ornamental layer – 2 to 4 in (5-10 cm)
Soil enrichment – none
Renew – every 3-4 years, recover & clean
Is mineral mulch easy to find?
YES, it can be found in horticulture stores in all sorts of shapes and sizes, among which you’ll certainly find:
DIY-stores all over the country also have such products for sale. Lastly, if you like recycling, lots of material can be found at eco-treatment centers and dumpsites.
It is well suited for a variety of flower bed types: trees, shrubs, green plants or flowers, potted plants both indoors and outdoors.
It’s particularly appealing spread around rocks, conifers, garden ornaments and to match the color of the floor on your decks and terraces.
- If you’ve got wrought iron ornaments, mineral mulch will help it stand out and keep weeds away.
Advantages of mineral mulch
- 100% natural origin
- Durable ornament and unlimited lifespan
- Neutral pH
- Reduces water evaporation in summer and thus reduces watering
- Hinders weed growth
- Protects against winter freezing
What not to use as mineral mulch
Although these might appear to do the trick, we don’t recommend using :
- seashells such as oysters, clams and the like, because their sharp edges might cut your fingers as you plant in and around them.
- broken ceramic shards. Their colors might be appealing, but those edges are also razor sharp.
However, it makes sense to experiment with whatever else you might have on hand:
If sourced locally, you might have enough to cover your flower beds with it!
Recycle your mineral mulch
- Just dig the soil up where the mulch was, mulch and all.
- pile it over a mesh-wire covered frame like chicken wire or weld mesh, depending on the size of the mulch gravel.
- sift the dirt through manually (optional time-saving step)
- let rainfall wash the grime away to recover your mulch, ready to use!
Smart tip about mineral mulch
The recommended thickness is about 2 inches (5 cm). This will ensure you’ll benefit from all the advantages listed above!