Weeding has always been the starting point of many questions: how can undesired growth be removed without polluting the Earth and our environment?
Can we weed naturally and efficiently, without using noxious herbicides that would seep into our plants and our bodies?
There are a great many ways today to succeed without using chemical products at all!
Mulch – weed-killer, ornamental and top performer!
- Its main advantage is to create a light-blocking opaque barrier between the soil and the air, which reduces weed growth.
- It is perfect for shrub and perennial flower beds, for the vegetable patch or your garden boxes.
- Mineral mulch is extremely durable and long-lasting.
- Plant-based mulch must usually be renewed every 2 or 3 years.
- As an added advantage, plant based mulch also doubles as a source of food for your plants and soil.
- Read also: our report on mulch.
When you heat the superficial air-born parts of weeds, it usually kills the plant. The weed is browsed with the flame, which creates a fatal thermal shock.
This system is one of the most recent developments in manual weeding and should have a golden age ahead since its advantages are many.
- Apart from the need to purchase the equipment (startup cost), this method is one of the cheapest in the long run.
- Clearing weeds from terraces, walkways and walls certainly has the cleanest and quickest results.
- Not recommended for wooden terraces or decks…
- The technique is to run the flame for 1 or 2 seconds on the weeds.
- The impact isn’t immediate since plants must still wilt and die, and sometimes a second run is required 10 days later.
Blocking out with geotextile sheets
Widely used by municipalities to create shrub and plant beds, it can be environmentally friendly if materials used are biodegradable such as coconut fiber or burlap cloth, and is convenient and durable.
All you need to do is to spread the fabric on the ground and make a hole in it where you wish to plant, and you’ll be fine for a few years.
- Although the price is a bit expensive at the beginning, it is very economical because it lasts for a long time.
- Easy to use, it also lets rainwater and excess watering seep in.
- Not as appealing as traditional mulch, it still is possible to play on colors.
Tilling devices and manual tilling for weeding
Even if a gas-powered engine isn’t so eco-friendly, it still helps avoid using chemical products.
So if you’re up to it and are a die-hard eco-warrior, go ahead and weed manually using a hoe. This it certainly the best way to rid yourself of weeds without having any impact whatsoever on the environment!
- Note that the rototiller is the ideal system for larger surfaces, especially the vegetable patch.
- Read also: how to choose your rototiller or rotavator.