You’re the proud owner of a Spathiphyllum and you wish make this marvelous indoor plant last.
Main Spathiphyllum facts
Name – Spathiphyllum hybrid
Family – Araceae
Type – indoor plant
Height – 1 ⅓-3 feet (0.5-1 meter) indoors
Exposure – well-lit
Soil – soil mix
Foliage – evergreen
Flowering – May to October
Here are our tips on how to care, plant and repot, water and fertilize as well as where it should be set up.
Planting or repotting Spathiphyllum
Under our climates, this plant adapts well to living indoors in our apartments and homes.
It grows best when surrounding temperatures hold around 68 to 72°F (20 to 22°C).
- Set it up in a fair-sized pot and plant it in special indoor plant or flower plant soil mix.
- Although it may be necessary to repot it in spring every 2 or 3 years, when not repotting then go for regular topdressing which should also perfectly answer the nutrient needs of the plant.
Lastly, ideally you would position the pot on a bed of clay marbles or small rocks often doused in water.
Evaporation from this water helps the leafage feel moisture much like its natural environment.
The best spot for Spathiphyllum
In spring and summer
This plant loathes direct sun but nonetheless still needs excellent light.
- So place it near a window, positioning it just so, so that it isn’t smothered by the sun’s rays.
- It must also be set quite far from any heating device, because these tend to make the air very dry. This doesn’t suit the Peace lily that craves moisture.
After any chance of freezing has disappeared, usually from May onwards, you can even give the plant some holidays and let it travel to a spot outside during the summer.
Take note though, again it fears sunburns so keep it out of the sun…
In fall and winter
The plant will do great in a spot that is a bit cooler, where temperatures hover around 60 to 63°F (16 to 17°C).
If that’s impossible, set it near a window facing North, away from any heat source.
In spring and summer
It must be regular but moderate.
- No need to drown the plant because its roots might not appreciate it.
- Consequently, water abundantly but drip-dry and wait for the soil surface to be dry before watering again.
- Since the foliage requires surrounding moisture, feel free to mist them on a regular basis with soft water.
Lastly, every 2 to 3 weeks, provide it with liquid fertilizer in order to increase blooming and ensure proper growth to the plant.
From fall to winter
You must slowly space the watering and suspend adding fertilizer or organic matter.
The plant is entering its dormant state and needs to be left alone.
It will fare much better in a cooler room, or on a North-facing windowsill from October to March.
All there is to know about Spathiphyllum
It resembles flamingo flower quite a lot, and spathiphyllum is equally easy to grow when the surrounding air and growing conditions suit it.
It is a plant that can live for a very long time and provide flowers all year round when in an optimal environment.
Lastly, if you wish to share the joy that this marvelous plant brings you, propagate it by dividing the bunch in spring, it’s very easy, results are almost guaranteed and it is always a great joy!