Craving a delicious meal? Here’s a delightful recipe for leek pie, with its hearty fill of small bacon bits, simple and quick to whip up.Ingredients for 4 to 6 people:
- 1 pie crust
- 3 good-looking leek
- Around 5 ounces of diced bacon (150 g)
- About 1 cup of liquid cream (crème fraîche or sour cream are fine, too) (25 cl)
- Approximately 2/3 cup of milk (15 cl)
- Roughly 4-5 ounces of grated cheese (gruyère, emmental) (125 g)
- 3 eggs
- Salt, pepper
How to cook up a leek and lardon pie
Baking leek and lardon pie is easy, but the success and creaminess of this dish lies in cooking it just right.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C)
Getting the filling ready:
- Take away leek greens
- Cut leek whites lengthwise and into 3/4 inch (2 cm) segments
- Sizzle the leek whites in a pan over high heat to get them golden. They should stay firm.
- Give the diced bacon a quick run in the pan
The cream mixture, pie base:
In a mixing bowl,
- Pour in cream, give it a vigorous stir with whole eggs
- Next, add milk and stir once more
- Throw in grated cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roll out the pie crust,
- Spread the leek and bacon cubes along the bottom (you can switch out the pork belly for smoked salmon if you prefer)
- Pour the pie base over this all to top it up.
Baking your leek pie
The cooking time for your leek pie depends on your oven and the dish you use, but expect somewhere between 35 to 40 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Making sure the top gets a good tan not only boosts flavor but also adds a pretty touch.
Why not pair your leek pie with a crisp lettuce salad? Bon appétit!