A delicious quiche with leek, ham and egg can be shared for starters or served as the main course. Cut the quiche in 4 for a main course, in 6 or 8 for starters.
Leek Quiche recipe
Number of people – 4
Preparation – 10 minutes
Cooking – 35 minutes
Level – Very easy
- 1 shortcrust pastry roll
- 4 big leek stalks
- 7 oz (200 g) ham chopped into cubes
- 1 cup (200 ml) milk
- 1 cup (200 ml) crème fraîche
- 1 oz (30 g) butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (100 g) grated Emmental cheese
- optional: sprig of rosemary, thyme or a bay laurel leaf
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C or gas mark 4).
- Step 2: Prepare the leek: remove the root tip and dark green leaves. Wash and slice into thin leek rings.
- Step 3: Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the leek.
- Step 4: Let simmer on low fire while you do the next step.
- Step 5: Rub a smidgen of butter along the baking pan to keep the crust from sticking to it. Unfurl the shortcrust pastry onto the round baking pan. Spread the grated Emmental cheese and chopped ham evenly atop it.
- Step 6: In a large bowl, add milk, crème fraîche, eggs, a pinch of salt and pepper and mix until smooth using either a hand whisk or an electric beater at low setting. Set aside.
- Step 7: Drain water released by the leek (you can keep it as a base for vegetable soup or broth). Spread the boiled leek out atop the cheese and ham. If you wish, place a sprig of thyme, rosemary, or a leaf of bay laurel in the center. One sprig or leaf is enough and the scent will spread to the whole quiche.
- Step 8: Pour the egg and dairy batter, filling the pan evenly.
- Step 9: Bake in the oven for around 35 minutes. A knife dipped through the center should come out dry.
- Step 10: Serve while still hot.
Smart tip about this Ham & Leek Quiche
Rub a little button on the bottom and sides of the baking pan. This will keep the pastry from sticking to the pan during the baking. Serving will be much easier!