This Duck Parmentier brings a delightful twist to your palate, uniquely flavored with Jerusalem artichoke and caramelized apples.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Ingredients for 4-6 servings
- 4 to 5 preserved duck legs
- 5 sizable potatoes
- 3 Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 large onion
- 3 apples
- 1 cup (25 cl) of milk
- Salt, pepper
Duck Parmentier with Potato, Jerusalem Artichoke, and Caramelized Apple
Perfect for cozy autumn and winter evenings, this dish is simple to make and rich in flavor!
- Start by melting the duck legs gently in a pan to remove excess fat.
- Keep some of that duck fat in the pan to sauté the onions and apples later.
- Remove the legs from heat and cool.
- With clean fingers, de-bone the duck legs and shred meat carefully.
Making the potato and Jerusalem artichoke mash:
- Peel and clean all potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes thoroughly.
- Boil them for 20 min.
- They’re ready when a sharp knife goes through without resistance.
- Drain water.
- Mash using a potato masher.
- Add the milk and stir it in.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Cooking caramelized onions and apples:
- Peel the apples and onions.
- Cut the apples into large chunks.
- Slice the onion thinly.
- Sauté both apple and onions together in the duck fat you set aside, until golden and slightly caramelized.
In a baking dish:
- First, mix shredded meat, caramelized apples, and onions to form the meaty underlayer.
- Spread the potato and Jerusalem artichoke mash evenly on top.
- Bake for 40 min.
It’s wise to let the dish rest for a few minutes before serving. Pair your Duck Parmentier with a crisp lettuce or mesclun salad. Enjoy your meal!