Citron melon has a bland taste. Wait! That’s actually good news! The taste you get in your citron melon jam is that of the fruit you mix in.
For this recipe, you will have a tantalizing honey-like taste.
This is actually a jam, since there’s no straining involved. But the result is as clear as jelly, with chunks!
Citron melon jam recipe
Time needed – 2 ½ hours for a whole 15 pound (7 kg) citron melon
- Preparation – 1 hour
- Cooking – 1 ½ hours
Ingredients for 1 kg citron melon
- 750 kg sugar per kilo of fruit
- 1 piece lemon per kilo of fruit (average size)
- Sturdy, sharp knife
- Cutting board
- 5 regular size jam pots
- Kitchen towel
- Large cooking pot
Steps for cooking citron melon jam
Prepare the fruit
- Peel the fruit. Cut in 1-inch slices (2-3 cm).
- Remove the thin skin from the rind to get a clear jelly.
- Remove the seeds.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes, and put them in a big container or bowl.
Caution: the rind is very hard! Take care to use a knife that won’t bend or snap.
Add the sweet stuff and macerate
- Add white sugar. (Brown sugar might make the jam looks so dark.) 750 grams per kilo of fruit.
- Add lemon juice. 1 lemon per kilo of citron melon fruit.
- Mix them well and let it sit down for 24 hours.
Cooking and boiling
- Cook slowly until enough water has evaporated that it has become thick.
- Stir every 3-5 minutes at the beginning.
- When it starts getting thick, stir every 1-2 minutes to avoid burning the bottom.
- It takes over an hour for most of the water to evaporate. In between stirs, get your pots ready.
Prepare pots for the jelly
While cooking, prepare the pots:
- Boil water in a deep pan.
- Put in the pots including the caps and let it sit for 1 minute.
- Take the pots out and put them on a clean kitchen towel.
Transfer, store and savor!
- To know if the jam is ready, wait until it has a caramel color.
- Then, get a spoon-full and pour it on a plate. Tip the plate vertically. When the jam does not drip easily, you can stop the cooking and transfer them in the pots. It must have a gummy, sticky behavior.
- Another trick is to wait until the bubbling turns noisy and splashy when you stir.
Spread on your favorite bread and enjoy this delicious breakfast or snack!
- Discover other rare and tasty jams: strawberry tree fruit jam and killer orange marmalade
- Related: grow citron melon and a description of what citron melon is