Saxifrage is a beautiful little perennial that blooms for most of the year depending on the variety.
Summary of Saxifrage facts
Name – Saxifraga
Family – Saxifragaceae
Type – perennial
Height – 4 to 12 inches (10 to 30 cm)
Exposure – full sun and part sun depending on the variety
Soil – ordinary
Flowering – February to August depending on the variety
Along edges, as ground cover or to the side of a perennial flower bed, it will look magnificent.
Saxifrage is a beautiful very hardy herbaceous flower that loves to meander among rocks and stones.
- Rocky ground and old walls is the setting it likes best.
Saxifrage loves sun but will thrive most if the sun isn’t too hot. Light shade is great, too.
- Favor planting in fall in garden soil amended with soil mix.
- You can nonetheless plant up until spring, but ensure regular watering at the beginning.
It doesn’t need any pruning.
Learn more about saxifrage
This hardy ground cover has been known to host innumerable colors and shapes through its many varieties, and it is very easy to grow and care for.
Rock gardens, flower beds and also garden boxes or along a wall are where it will be at its best.
- One of the most famous varieties is the famous ‘Dovedale’ hypnoides variety which bears flowers that carpet the ground beautifully.
- A pink-flowered variety that’s easy to care for is ‘Touran pink’, a Saxifraga hybrid called S. x arendsii.
Smart tip about saxifrage
Its hardiness means it only needs little care. Simply water in case of drought.