Symptoms are the presence of brown spots with a red or purple perimeter on leaves.
There are several strands of this disease, but all can be treated in the same manner.
This fungus will spread until all leaves are contaminated and drop off.
Strawberry tree leaf spot
Actions to avoid strawberry tree problems
The most effective way to protect the tree is to give it an excellent growing environment.
- Rich and very well-draining soil.
- Regular fertilizing if the soil is very poor.
- Regular watering over the first 2 years to make sure it settles in healthily.
- Space around the tree for air to circulate and to avoid moist air around the tree.
At the end of winter, spray Bordeaux mixture 2 to 3 times, at a two-week interval.
There isn’t any natural product to use that can definitely eliminate this particular type of fungus, but you can reduce its spread with Bordeaux mix. Best of course is to remove any infected parts beforehand.
Using bordeaux mix and even fungus-killing fermented weed teas is better than to spray with mancozeb or myclobutanil based solutions, which are fungicides sold in horticulture stores.
What causes spots on strawberry tree leaves?
These three fungus spread most when the weather is warm.
- Note: these fungus aren’t toxic to us humans. If ever your tree is infected, you can still harvest its berries to make arbutus berry jam without any risk at all.
1 – Spots are round, purple and spread on both leaves and twigs
It’s quite aggressive and must be taken care of quickly.
2 – Brown and purple spots, oblong shape
This is an infection by Ruptoseptoria unedonis.
It’s part of the family of septoria leaf spot fungi.
3 – Brown spots with reddish edges, roundish shape
This is a variant that is most common in British Columbia, in Canada.
Its name is Didymosporium arbuticola Zeller.
On the topic of strawberry trees:
Other diseases and treatments related to leaf spot:
- Black spots on leaves and how to treat them organically
- Fermented tea, use nature to heal nature
- Treatments against fruit tree pests and diseases
- Treat against scab